How to Configure Reporting Services after Renaming SQL Server Instance
Sometimes we need to change the name of the server or computer on which SQL Server instance is running. Once we make changes in server name we need to change the name of installed SQL Server instance name as well to avoid any issue. Read attached article if you are planning to change SQL Server Instance name. Here, i am going to discuss how to configure reporting services after renaming SQL Server Instance. You can follow below steps to rename report server.
I have also described multiple impacts of renaming SQL Server Instances. One of the impact of renaming SQL Server Instance that has SQL Server reporting services is also mentioned there and impact is reporting services will stop working if you simply change SQL Server instance name of report server. We need to perform some additional steps to reconfigure report server after a computer name change.
Configure Report Server After Renaming SQL Server Instance
You should rename SQL Server instance as per steps described in above attached link. Once you have changed SQL Server instance name then you should follow below additional steps to make reporting services accessible.
- Launch SQL Server Reporting Services Configuration tool and connect to the report server that uses the report server database on the renamed server.
- Go to Database Setup page.
- Enter SQL Server name in Server Name and then click Connect. If Reporting Services is configured using the server name, you must update the database connection information whenever the server name is changed.
- Click Apply and close the SSRS Configuration tool.
- Now search and open a config file RSReportServer.config in a text editor and modify the UrlRoot setting to reflect the new server name.
- UrlRoot setting is used by delivery extensions to compose the URL used to access items stored on the report server. Changing the report server URL address requires that you update the UrlRoot setting so that subscriptions continue to deliver reports as expected.
- In the same file, if it is set, modify the ReportServerUrl setting to reflect the new server name. Note if this setting is empty then do nothing.
- Fix Error 15190: There are still remote logins for the server
- How to Change SQL Server Instance Name?
Latest posts by Manvendra Deo Singh (see all)
- Understanding Hybrid Buffer Pool in SQL Server - December 30, 2018
- Fix:VIEW SERVER STATE permission was denied on object ‘server’, database ‘master’ - August 30, 2018
- SQL Server Error 5184: Cannot use file ‘I:\Path\Techyaz.mdf’ for clustered server - August 29, 2018