How to Check and Install .NET framework 3.5 on your Server
We must Install .NET framework 3.5 as prerequisite to install SQL Server on Windows Operating System. We need to manually install it before starting SQL Server installation. You can also deploy it by using group policy. Earlier we used to download the .NET package and then run it to install. Now process has become easier and you don’t need to download its package for installation. I would recommend you to first check if .net 3.5 is installed or not on your server, if it’s already installed then you should not reinstall it again. You can see Validate section of this article to learn how to check if .net 3.5 is installed or not.
.NET Framework 3.5 Installation
There are two ways to install .NET Framework 3.5 on windows server.
- Using GUI
- Using Powershell
- Login to Server and launch Server Manager, click on Manage and then select Add Roles and Features to start the Add Roles and Features Wizard.
- On the Select installation type screen, select Role-based or feature-based installation.
- Select the target server.
- On the Select features screen, click on checkbox next to .Net Framework 3.5 Features.
- On the Confirm installation selections screen, a warning will be displayed asking Do you need to specify an alternate source path?. Here you can mount your Windows DVD ISO image. Or If your computer does not have access to Windows Update, click the Specify an alternate source path link to specify the path to the \sources\sxs folder on the installation media and then click OK. After you have specified the alternate source, or if the target computer has access to Windows Update, click the X next to the warning, and then click Install and it will be done.
This is very simple method where you just need to run below powershell command with administrator right.
--Change the source location as per your source patch or location. Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source c:\sxs
If your .NET framework 3.5 is already installed on your server then you will get below output by running above powershell command. It means .NET 3.5 is already installed on this machine. Read below section to learn how to check if .net 3.5 is installed on your machine.
Now you can check whether .NET framework 3.5 is installed on your server or not. Run below command to check if .NET 3.5 is installed or not.
--Check if .NET framework 3.5 is installed or not on your server. Get-WindowsFeature *framework*
- Fix SQL Error 18456: failed to open the explicitly specified database - September 18, 2021
- Fix Always ON Connection Timeout Error 35206 in SQL Server - July 23, 2021
- How to Enable Preview Features in Azure Data Studio - July 15, 2021